1. Home
  2. Travel to the USA

Travel to the USA

There are specific identifications and permits required when traveling across the US/Mexico border. Following the guidelines below should help make your trip simple and enjoyable.

U.S. Entry Requirements for Mexican Citizens

A visa is required for any Mexican citizen visiting the United States. In addition, an entry permit is required for Mexican visitors traveling beyond the immediate border area. Other nationalities, please visit a U.S. Consulate or Embassy before traveling to the United States.


All Mexican citizens planning to visit the United States must first obtain a visa prior to arrival at the border. In addition to a tourist visa, there are several other visas that are available depending upon the type of activity you will be conducting in the United States. The current non-refundable application fee for most visas is US$131. Visas are issued at U.S. consulates or the embassy in Mexico City. The U.S. Embassy website provides comprehensive information about consulates, visa requirements, and the application process.

Additional general information about travel to the United States and visa requirements for citizens of Mexico and other countries is available at the Destination U.S. Visa website.

55 mile distance billboard

Form I-94 Arrival and Departure Record (“Permiso”)

Mexican citizens who already have a visa and are planning to travel to the United States beyond the border area and/or for longer than 30 days, must obtain an I-94 permit at the port-of-entry from a Customs and Border Protection officer. In New Mexico, an I-94 is required for travel beyond 55 miles from the border. The fee for an I-94 permit is US$6. The permit may be issued for a maximum term of 6 months and for multiple trips to the U.S. The issuing Customs and Border Protection officer will determine the exact conditions of the permit. Did you know?  The actions and support of the NMBA staff and their efforts to our Federal Delegation assisted the “team effort” of EDD, BIA and our dedicated Federal field representatives to increase the miles from 25 miles to 55 miles.  Las Cruces, Deming and Lordsburg can now receive visitors from Mexico without their acquiring an I-94 “Permiso.”


The I-94 permit must be returned to a border port-of-entry upon or before its termination and the visitor’s return to Mexico.

For more complete information about entering the United States and I-94 permits see the Documentary Requirements for United States Citizens and Foreign Visitors entering the United States from Canada and Mexico.

Using Your Vehicle in New Mexico

You may bring your Mexican vehicle while visiting New Mexico without the need to obtain any special vehicle permits. In order to operate your vehicle in New Mexico, you must have a current Mexican driver’s license, current Mexican license plates, and current vehicle registration. If the vehicle is not registered in your name, you should have a letter from the owner authorizing you to use it. Temporary U.S. automobile insurance is also required with the following terms:

You must have a liability policy (or surety bond or cash deposit) with a minimum of $60,000 in coverage: $25,000 coverage for bodily injury to or death of 1 person, $50,000 coverage for bodily injury to or death of 2 or more persons, and $10,000 for property damage in any one accident. Source: New Mexico MVD Online